The NLHPP is the only proven, sustainable and cost-effective solution for treating the required volumes of waste at Edmonton EcoPark
Myth: "There are better alternatives for treating non-recyclable waste"
The fact: The NLHPP is the only proven, sustainable and cost-effective solution for treating the required volumes of waste at Edmonton EcoPark.
NLWA carefully considers the options as part of the consenting process. The other options simply do not work:
- Landfill is significantly worse for the environment and more expensive
- Using third party energy from waste facilities is more expensive and would add thousands of lorries to the roads, which would require journeys of 80-200km. This is not compatible with self-sufficient waste management in north London
- Advanced thermal treatment is unproven at the scale we need
- Mechanical biological treatment is more expensive and produces fuel that needs to be burned away
- Anaerobic digestion and materials recycling is already used by NLWA to treat organic waste, but it can't be used for non-recyclable waste.
Was this article helpful
We strive to answer every question you may have. We ask for your feedback to help us improve our answers.